This deeply historic estate dates back to the 7th century, when the Frankish King Dagobert donated the vineyards and buildings to the Benedictine order of St. Maximin. The monastery was privatized by Napoleon in the early 19th century. In 1882, it was purchased by an ancestor of Maximin von Schubert, who is the sixth generation of the family to own the Grünhaus estate. Work in the vineyards is done in close harmony with nature. Fertilization is organic, and no pesticides or herbicides are used. The Herrenberg vineyard is based more on red slate, than its blue slate neighbor, the Abtsberg. It also has deeper topsoil that retains more water, which can be of great benefit in dry years.