2017 Weixelbaum Gruner Veltliner Wechselberg, Kamptal, Austria (750ml)

MSRP:
Was:
Now: $22.00
(You save )
Write a Review
Gift wrapping:
Options available

Description

The Weixelbaum family has been cultivating vines and making wine in the municipality of Straß im Straßertale in the lower Austrian wine region of Kamptal since 1770. Today, the winery is run by Gabi and Hanz Weixelbaum who farm 44 acres of vineyards, 70% of which are planted to white varietals including Grüner Veltliner, Riesling, Pinot Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc, Roter Veltliner and Chardonnay; the remaining 30% of land is devoted to the red varietals, Zweigelt and Blauer Portugieser. In the Kamptal, the dry and hot Pannonian climate meets the freezer-like cool winds of the Waldviertel (Forest Quarter) to the north, creating a unique microclimate conducive to preserving fresh and lively acidities in the wines. The variety of soils present in the region, ranging from loess over gravel to striking parcels of primary rock and volcanic elements allows Weixelbaum to match the appropriate grapes to their ideal terroirs and create complex, mineral-driven wines. The Weixelbaum family believes in a holistic cultivation of the vineyard and of its soil and thus, sows seeds of beneficial plants in between vines while also meticulously hand pruning and harvesting grapes. The intimacy they foster with their vineyards not only yields consistently high quality grapes, but it also enables quick and efficient responses to unusual events and upheavals brought upon by climate and weather.

 

There is an intriguing dichotomy of sweet versus savory in this delicious Grüner Veltliner from Kamptal, Austria. Aromas of sweet pea, meyer lemon zest and green apple are met with earthier elements as in gunflint, white pepper, celery and tarragon. The palate exhibits a subtly creamy, lush texture and flavors of lemon custard, fennel and more of that fresh green apple character. A tingly acidity surfaces on the mid-palate, accentuated by a vibrant minerality and more of that zesty citrus quality that carries through to a crisp, clean finish. A perfect spring wine, pair with artichoke or asparagus risotto, pesto pasta or grilled fish with chimichurri.

Related Products

Customers Also Viewed

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest updates on new products and upcoming sales

No thanks