Schramsberg is a 200-acre estate on Diamond Mountain in Napa Valley that was originally founded in 1862 by Jacob Schram, a German immigrant from a winemaking family. By 1870, he had planted 30,000 vines and dug Napa Valley’s first underground cellars where he made his European varietal still wines. Those cellars still exist today and have been expanded to house Schramsberg’s fermenting and aging sparkling wines. Jacob built a grand Victorian mansion on the property in 1875, which was declared a Historical Monument in 1957 and also still exists today. After Jacob’s death in 1905, his son Herman took over the business but with the onslaught of phylloxera and Prohibition was forced to sell. The property had a series of different owners over the first half of the 20th century until Jack and Jamie Davies purchased the estate in 1965 and brought the spirit of Jacob Schram and his winemaking traditions back to life. Their mission was to create America’s best sparkling wine. In 1967, the Davies produced the first vintage dated Blanc de Noir sparkling wine made from Pinot Noir in the U.S. The following year they released the first sparkling rosé from the “Napa Gamay” grape. On February 25, 1972, the 1969 Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs was served at the State dinner, “Toast to Peace” hosted by President Nixon for the Premier of China. That was the first time an American wine had been poured at any White House or State event, and Schramsberg has been served at the White House by every Presidential Administration since then.